Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's Cold Outside

One of my students did a presentation today, and did a really fine job. It's so cool to see a student do so well.

And when I got home, this little guy was sitting on the deck. It seemed odd, but the camera was near, so I took a couple shots. And just as I started to worry that he was just sitting there, he flew up to the suet feeder, fed for a few minutes, and flew off.

I'm pretty sure (based on the markings and size, about 5 or so inches) this is a Downy Woodpecker. Some of the other pictures show the red marking on the back of his head better, but this picture is the best shot of the fluffiness. Usually I see these birds on the suet feeder or trees, and their feathers are all sleeked tight, but this guy was really fluffed out, and I wanted to get a pic of that.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pic. I'll bet you made that bird very happy today with your suet feeder!

    ReplyDelete