Thursday, July 27, 2006

Act Four

We did Act Four today; I adore the Ceres story hinted at there and what it means for Prospero's little theatrical. I think I got it across to our students, even. Several of them are already working off book with their parts, and mostly they seem to be coming together.

The director is having several of the "spirits" do some of the songs together. I guess that their voices aren't strong enough to sing alone (these aren't the students with the best auditions, after all). But I'm really trying to get them to think about what they're saying as they say stuff, and focusing on communicating with the audience, and I just can't figure out how they can do that when they're basically chanting ka-thunk ka-thunk ka-thunkety verse.

Yes, it reminds me of going to church when I was growing up, how I learned to do all the responses long before I actually learned what the words meant, and how little meaning most people got across in those grouped responses. I wonder if that frustrates priests or ministers?

No comments:

Post a Comment