Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Progress

 I finished painting the bench (see this one and also this other one for previous bench adventures), and with help from a visiting grad school friend, reconstructed it and moved it back to my little porch:

It's bright and cheerful there.

***

In bigger news, I've made reservations for my next couple of big adventures.

First, I've bought tickets and made arrangements (except for the rental car) to go to my Peace Corps group reunion and also to visit a friend and a second cousin and her Mom (my first cousin once removed) on the way back.  So that's pretty exciting.

Second, and this is so big it's almost scary:  I've made reservations for a trip to Europe and bought tickets.

The plan:  fly to Amsterdam and stay there a few days, then go to Barcelona and stay at an air bnb.  Then go to Berlin and stay at an air bnb.  Then back to Amsterdam for a few days, and fly out.

Exciting and terrifying.

***

I've also been working on getting into better shape.  My garmin tells me I have the fitness level of a 79 year old, and that's bad.  So I'm trying to run a bit (couch to five K), bike a bit, and walk a bit.

I have until mid October to be in shape for, say, a 5 mile hike with my RPCV friends.  And then until early next year to be able to wander all day in Amsterdam or wherever.

I rode 18 miles on my bike on a very easy trail at 13.5 mph average yesterday.  And the day before I walked in a local park (so paved, but up and down) for 4 miles.

More to come...


5 comments:

  1. Great progress then! Just out of curiosity, why the `trepidation on traveling to/in/around Europe? Your trip sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generalized travel anxiety? I get it whether I'm traveling to Salamanca, Seattle, or St Louis. It does sound like a great trip and I hope you have a fantastic time!

      Delete
  2. Also I like the blue bench! Considering all the biking and winter sports you've blogged about, maybe your Garmin is lying to you. It sounds like you're doing pretty well, but it's always a good idea to improve fitness, so bon courage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fitness thing has to do with doing almost nothing physically for the past three years while I was chair. And doing a fair bit of stress eating...

      Delete
  3. Just a bit of anxiety about big things, planning ahead, using air bnb for the first time. I'm also super excited!

    ReplyDelete