Friday, March 13, 2020

Astonied

Reading Spenser (I'm pretty sure), I was taught that being "astonied" or "astonished" meant being turned to stone, or, you know, like stone.  And "amazed" means being as in a maze, lost, without direction, confused.

That's where I was yesterday, when our headmaster put out the word that we're cancelling classes.  I was pretty sure we would get to that, but didn't expect it yesterday, since he'd put off and made it sound like he didn't think it was that serious.  I think something changed his mind.

So, we're moving on line.  But unlike lots of schools, we have a couple of weeks to get our courses in shape and moved over.  That's really helpful, because it's a daunting idea.

On the other hand, I'm guessing there will be a lot of alcohol consumed in the dorms and student housing this coming week...

I've never taught on line before, so I've got a lot to learn in the next couple of weeks.  And I see all sorts of folks are putting lists of resources together, so I'll definitely be looking at them.

I read a couple of weeks ago that some expert (sorry, I can't remember who it was or where) thinks that having the Covid-19 virus around will be the new normal, like having the seasonal flu.  No one knows yet if getting it once will make you (mostly?) immune or not.  And no one knows if we'll develop an effective vaccine.  It's more dangerous than the flu so far, and may always be.  Or it may become less dangerous if exposure makes you immune and it doesn't evolve different forms quickly.  (That fast changing of forms is what makes the common cold so difficult to deal with, and also helps make the flu difficult.) 

My (vague!) understanding is that the common cold is also caused by a corona virus, so maybe that will mean this one evolves as fast.  I don't know.

It's especially worrisome for older folks and those with immune problems or chronic illnesses.  And the economy is worrisome now, too. 

Of course, there've been bad, bad pandemics before, but not for a long time.  And I wasn't worried (because I wasn't alive yet).  Now, I'm worried.  Like folks during the Black Plague, and folks during the Spanish Flu pandemic.  (I don't think this is as fatal as those, but it's still plenty serious, no?)

Take care, lovely readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment