Thursday, June 27, 2019

Another Drowned Phone

I did it again.  I drowned a phone.  Third time!

The first time, I had a flip phone and went kayaking with a friend.  I put the phone in two "sealed" plastic bags, but the kayak was an inflatable, and there was a lot of water, so drowned phone.

The second time, I put another flip phone through the laundry. 

This time, I had my "new" smart phone (I got it, used, from my brother in December 2015, when he and his son were upgrading to the newest, latest phones; the 5s came out in late 2013, so my brother probably got his in 2014) in a lifeproof case.  But, since I put the case on three or so years ago (when I first got the phone), it had been failing, and finally failed. 

I was teaching a friend the very basics of kayaking, and the phone was in my side pocket, and got wet, and blah blah. 

So now I have a new phone, in a new lifeproof case (I figure two years and I should replace it).  I got the smallest "new" phone available, an 8, and it looks like it has 4 times the memory as my last one.  (Can I say, the salespeople at Verizon were incredibly obnoxious about the phone insurance thing; even after I said I didn't want the insurance, they kept on and on, and then a second person started in.  They must get a nice kickback from selling those.)

I lost all the contacts, except somehow there are now old contacts on the new phone, so I guess I must have saved them way back when?

And I lost pictures and stuff.  But fortunately, I have a habit (because the phone had smallish memory) of downloading pictures onto my computer fairly regularly, so I didn't loose many.

Last night, I spent a long time doing the settings thing, reloading some of the apps I use regularly.

***

A small rant: why oh why are they making phones bigger and bigger?  I want something that fits in my pocket, and fits in one hand easily, and the new phones keep getting bigger and bigger!  (I guess most people like them that way?)


***

Non-rant: one cool thing about the blog: I could find exactly when I got the last phone, and when I got my first cell phone.  Neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment