Sunday, February 07, 2016

Adult Learner, Thoughts on Trust

I've been practicing holding my bow, playing pizzicato, and trying to make my own song.  And of course, it's been fun to think about.


When I first asked about learning violin from this teacher, let's call her Strings, it was because she was telling me about the Suzuki method, and learning and stuff, and I've been thinking for a while about trying to learn something expressive, something creative in a different way than my work, and it just clicked that violin might be it.  And when she said she could teach me, and then I asked her for real, and she said yes, I had some time to think.


Something that's different for me from any previous classes or lessons or whatever for me is that I decided that I would trust Strings as a teacher.  I've never consciously thought about trusting the person who's teaching me.  I've thought a lot about how much trust I ask from my students; I ask them to trust that the assignments I'm giving them, the things I'm asking them to try, will help them learn.  I ask them to trust that nothing bad will happen in a class if they try to interpret a passage and mess up.  But it's been a while since I've taken any sort of lesson like this, and I've thought a lot about teaching in the meanwhile, I guess.


And so, in a way, I'm all in.  I'm enjoying my practice so far, and I'm looking forward to learning more!



No comments:

Post a Comment