Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Discombobulated

Daylight Savings + a cold that means I don't sleep well.  At about 1:15 this morning, my cold went from my head to my lungs, and I started coughing a lot, enough to wake me up.  So I took some cough medicine, and went back to bed, but didn't sleep for a while.  And then the alarm went off.

As someone who watches bike races, I've learned that riders improve over long distances as they get older, into their late 20s, and then can stay quite good at those distances into their mid to late 30s.  But they may lose some sprinting speed in that time.  And they may get better at mountains.  It's like they develop a different sort of stamina.

I bring this up because even with almost no sleep, I got up when the alarm went off, got to school, met with a student, held class, wrote an exam, and so forth, pretty much as usual except that I didn't feel great.  It's like I have that sort of longer stamina.  When I was younger, I could pull an all nighter, and felt like I was effective until late.  But then I was crap the next day.  Now, if I'm up all night, I can carry on the next day pretty well, better than I used to.  I still feel lousy, but I can do what needs to be done.

At any rate, it's supposed to hit the 50s today in the Northwoods, so I hope I get outside a bit.  If nothing else, that will make me feel better!

6 comments:

  1. Sorry for the sick but, yes, I totally understand what you're saying about the ability to function in sub-optimal conditions. I'm much better at this than I was as an undergrad. I may not have the vigour but I have determination in spades. Here's hoping you feel better soon and you can enjoy the warmth ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an early dinner on my back deck! It was glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:11 PM

    Ack, I'm sorry you're sick! I can't stay up and get real work done anymore, but I can stay up and function the next day. I hope you heal up well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful with that cough! I've been battling a nasty one for three weeks now, and it is apparently 'going around' campuses. The doc said that if left untreated? It can go for months. Not bronchitis, not pneumonia, not asthmatic. Just really, really nasty and lingering. Lost two weeks of classes to the darned thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Belle, I'm so sorry you've been hit so long with it! I can feel mine has already started improving. I'm coughing a lot less today than yesterday. What can they do for a virus, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get better, Bardiac! SAA awaits!!

    I feel like I run on empty most of the time and then end up collapsing, roughly, quarterly. When I have a break down, I usually sleep for 13+ hours a day for at least a long weekend and then I get up and do it all over again. I haven't been sick (knock on wood) pretty much at all this winter, but the DST change put me into a state of collapse for the last couple of days. I'm barely making my way through the essays I have to grade. There are 21 left. UGH!

    ReplyDelete