Friday, August 26, 2011

What to Say

I've gone a bit quiet, because I'm pretty busy.

Do you ever get in those conversations where someone says something and you just have no response? I was in one the other day. The other person said, "I just love [category of people]" and the category wasn't "librarians" or some other profession. (because who doesn't love librarians?)

So fill in your imaginary category.

I decided just being stupidly silent was better than playing some weird one-ups-manship, but really, what do you say?

***

When I was younger, I would have said I didn't like kids. Retrospectively, I'd say that it wasn't so much dislike, and discomfort, especially discomfort at being expected to adore and want kids, and boredom at being expected to babysit and entertain little kids.

Weirdly, I've gotten much better with kids. There are a couple of kids here, and I seem to have been adopted by one, and it's fine. I credit my nephew and niece.

But I'm really glad I don't have to entertain them a lot, still.

3 comments:

  1. I think the only thing to say, if you don't share the love of the category, is "that's great!" or something like that. But silence works, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:29 PM

    I don't love librarians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. C, It's that I don't see how you can love a category of people. I see how you can love individuals.

    Anastasia, I'm sorry. You must have had bad experiences. :(

    ReplyDelete