Thursday, January 28, 2010

Today

I had that really poor class discussion.

I chaired a meeting and did a clumsy job. Bleargh.

After work, I went around to a couple stores in town trying to look at snowshoes. One store has a couple of this type, and says they're far superior. Another store has a lot of another type (from the same company), and has never heard of the other type. The other store doesn't carry snow shoes anymore.

It's evidently time to buy swimsuits, not snowshoes, this despite the fact that the wind chill took us well below zero today.

And when I got home, I got the final (second) notice that despite my digging and yesterday's apparent okayness, my mail box isn't accessible enough, so I need to pick up my mail at the post office.

It's so cold outside that it's just... cold.

I think to the future, and I can't imagine surviving here another nearly 20 winters until I might be able to retire.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:23 PM

    Oh, you sound so down.
    Some unsolicited advice:
    1. Order your snow shoes online.
    2. Make yourself a hot toddy and have a relaxing evening.
    3. Plan your sabbatical for during winter term.

    I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, that sounds like good advice. not that i live in snow or teach regular classes.... but the toddy can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Target to look for long underwear in early January because it was consistently below zero and several sets of mine were starting to wear out.

    They didn't have any long underwear.

    But they had a whole section full of swimsuits.

    WHO BUYS SWIMSUITS IN JANUARY WHEN IT IS BELOW ZERO!??!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry.

    Those long, dark winter days used to bug me, too, and I grew up in snow country.

    How long has it been since you've had a day of sunshine? Because without sun, it's hard to stay focused and alert. Light therapy bulbs can help, really.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete