Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Grading H E Double Hockey Sticks!

I'm buried in grading so I think it's a great time to update my blogroll! If I've missed you (and let's face it, I'm not the bestest updater ever), please let me know and I'll add you.

Thanks!

And if you're also in grading purgatory or worse, my sympathies are with you. I read drafts for my grad papers today. Two of the drafts were under five pages, and they weren't five pages of brilliance, alas. One was incredible. One was darned good. One has incredible promise, and brings in Basilikon Doron in interesting, cool ways. Two need to recognize that the world of literary criticism didn't actually end in 1979. Some were drafts.

They're peer editing tonight (yay for night classes), which means that good things can still happen! I have high hopes. I also live a rich and full fantasy life.

For final peer editing in any class, I try to put the people most likely to really challenge each other in the best ways together, and work from there. And yes, before I saw the drafts, I made up the groups, and yes, the two under five pager drafts are in the same group. And the incredible and darned good drafts are in the same group.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:31 AM

    I'd like to hear more, actually, about your peer review matchup strategies. Are you going by level of work submitted so far, by personality, both? And do you think the similar paper quality is a good thing, when your students are peer reviewing?

    ReplyDelete